In Greek masculines of the first declension borrow the singular genitive ending -ου from second declension. Latin uses the ending -ae for all of first declension: puellae, nautae, Anchisae, Aeneae. There are also occasional genitives similar to the Greek first declension ones (familias, musices, Melpomenes), but these are besides my point.

Was -i ever used as a genitive ending for masculines of the first declension? If this happens, it is presumably due to Greek influence, and I suspect it is more likely to happen in words or names of Greek origin. Despite seeing many Greek loan words, I have never seen this genitive in any text or grammar. Searches for nauti and Anchisi give nothing, and Aenei gives unrelated hits for the adjective aēneus.

It's hard to prove a negative, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. (Though in another sense it's yes: the first-declension gen. sg. -ae is historically -a-ī, with the same as in the second declension.) – TKR Jun 3 '16 at 19:36
  • @TKR, my guess is also no. The parenthetical remark is interesting, though: In that sense Latin already has the same ending in both declensions, whereas Greek (and older Latin?) has -s in first declension. That gives a reason not to expect -i. That would make a nice answer, albeit a partial one, if you want to write it up. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jun 3 '16 at 19:42
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I don't see any reference to such an ending in either Allen and Greenough or Gildersleeve and Lodge, so I strongly suspect the answer is no.

That said, in another, historical sense the ending was used as a first-declension gen. sg. ending, and not just for masculines. The ending -ae is historically formed from -a-ī: the -a- of the first-declension stem plus the same as in the second declension. The earlier spelling of this ending was -AI, which is found in inscriptions and occasionally in poetry where a disyllabic ending was needed for the meter. (This is unlike the case of Greek, where the first- and second-declension gen. sg. endings have different origins.)

Thanks! If someone miraculously finds examples of the ending -i, I will have to unaccept this, but that seems unlikely. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jun 4 '16 at 19:21

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.