Is the following the correct way to translate Argument To Proof of Work

Argumentum Ad Probationem Operis

The intention is to translate it in the same way as Argument to the Person

Argumentum Ad Hominem
  • Welcome to the site! Can you explain a bit what you mean by "argument to proof of work"? An example situation might help find a good translation. – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 23 at 2:53
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Thanks! I'm trying to coin a phrase I suppose. There are a common list of fallacies which start with Argumentum. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies Argument from authority would probably be the closest to what I'm talking about. argumentum ad verecundiam So I'm trying to say something similar, but saying the argument is made from proof of work rather than authority (which is a form of authority in Bitcoin). Proof of work is a Bitcoin term used to describe how more bitcoins are created. – DrSammyD Apr 23 at 4:47

The basic structure you want is argumentum ad… with an accusative noun: that is, an argument aimed at something.

Amusingly, the most common word for "proof" is also argumentum, in the sense of proving something in court, or finishing a mathematical theorem. Instead, I'd use indicium, which means evidence you can present before a court.

For "work", since this is specifically work designed to be difficult without actually accomplishing anything useful, I'd say labor: literally "toil" or "drudgery".

All together, that would be argumentum ad indicium laboris.

However, this sounds somewhat unwieldy, and is kind of an obvious calque: it's a literal translation from English, not an idiomatic one. For an idiomatic translation, I would use onus. Literally it means "burden", but in the sense of "something you have to suffer through" or "a duty that has to be done" (as in "burden of proof", a literal translation of Latin onus probandi). So an argumentum ad onus is proving your point by demonstrating what you've been through, which in this case is the one-way computation.

A worker is having to prove that he has done his job?

How about: opera perfecto veritas prima facie facile constituit.

"With the work having been completed the truth was easily established on first sight." Showing the finished job, presumably, killed the argument.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.