I want to translate the phrase

It's just like a big recorder

where "recorder" is the musical instrument. The generic Latin for "flute" seems to be "tibia" (pipe), so I settled on using the Latin for the Italian "flauto dolce", which at first glance would be "tibia dulcis" but I fear I don't have the right inflection on "sweet". My uneducated attempt is:

Tamquam (or possibly Quasi) magna tibia dulcis est

Is this even close, or is there a better way of expressing this?

Quasi is "as if"; for this, I'd use similis, "like". I think I'd also use longa instead of magna, to express size rather than quality.

The older (pre-Augustan) way to use similis is with the genitive, which would be longae tibiae dulcis. The newer (post-Augustan) way is with the dative, which would be longae tibiae dulcī.

EDIT: Vincenzo Oliva in the comments suggests using recta "straight" instead of dulcis; if you go with this, it would be a longae tibiae rectae in either case.

Apparently the Latin name for the instrument is tibia recta: tibia corresponds to Italian flauto, and recta reflects an alternative to the name "flauto dolce" (i.e. flauto diritto, as can be seen on the Wiki page ). – Vincenzo Oliva Apr 17 at 19:27
  • @VincenzoOliva Nice find! Added. – Draconis Apr 17 at 20:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.