How do I type Macrons on an Android device?

3 Answers 3

ā, ă, ē, ĕ, ī, ū are all easily typable on an Android device by long-pressing the corresponding vowel. So ĭ, ŏ, ō, ŭ, ȳ and y̆ are missing.

For Samsung, I'll quote a post from here, but only in part because that procedure doesn't seem to work for me:

1. In your browser, find and copy the letter you need from any site.

2. Go to Settings > Language and input > Samsung keyboard > Predictive text > Text shortcuts.

3. Here, you can set keyboard shortcuts for whenever you write a certain word. Add a shortcut with your copied letter, and naturally set the corresponding vowel as the needed input for the shortcut to be shown.

I use the Swype keyboard, which has macra available for all vowels except y, by long-pressing the letter. So you could use that.

• Actually this seems to be true of the standard android keyboard! Thanks! Apr 18, 2019 at 14:31

If you are using the Google Keyboard (GBoard), add the Māori language, and select it while typing by long press on the spacebar.

Then macrons are really easy: just a long press on a vowel, and it switches to the one with a macro.

• Based on your recomendation, I just switched to Maori in Windows 10; however, I have to press the "tilde" key below the ESC key before pressing the vowel to get a macron. Jan 30, 2022 at 20:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.