Some students of mine are creating a school publication featuring student work, and the proposed subtitle of their publication is:

Scholaris Opus, Scholaris Vox

The intended meaning is "student work, student voice" or "scholar" in place of "student." The content of the publication will be be broad and include essays, poetry, mathematics, science, photography, and visual art. Online dictionaries seem to translate it to the intended meaning, but I just wanted to make sure the Latin is correct.

• Welcome! If you'd like, it may be worth including more context to clarify the type of "work" that the students are attempting to convey in the subtitle. Work can obviously refer to many things, from physical labor to the step-by-step process for solving a problem ("show your work!") to artistic masterpieces, and this may impact the Latin translation. – Nathaniel is protesting May 27 '16 at 18:47
    Scholaris actually means Of or belonging to a school. If you intend to mean specifically student, then discipulorum opus, discipulorum vox may be a better title. Discipulorum means of the students. I'm not sure if student in English is working as an adjective? Because in Latin I don't think a singular noun fits too well here. – Rafael May 27 '16 at 18:49
  • Thanks @Nathaniel, I've updated the question. Rafael, I like scholaris even more now! "Scholaris" should be a noun acting as an adjective here, as it is describing the work and the voice. – Carser May 27 '16 at 18:56
  • I think it is actually an adjective ;) – Rafael May 27 '16 at 19:53

As point out in the comments, scholaris is an adjective meaning "belonging to a school" or "of school". If you say opus scholare, vox scholaris, it means "work of school, voice of school". To me that sounds essentially opposite of what you want to say, so I would not suggest it. Notice in my example above that opus is a neuter and therefore the adjective is in the form scholare.

To reach the correct tone, I strongly suggest that you pick some Latin dictionary (you can find suggestions in this other question) and find the words you wish to use. We can then help you use them.

Let me give you some suggestions (see more detailed translations and more suggestions in a dictionary):

• Work might be labor (physical work), opus (a piece of work), facta (made things), acta (done things) or scripta (written things).
  • A student might be studens, studiosus or discipulus.
  • A voice might be vox or dicta (said things).

If you want to use participles, just look up the verbs that are relevant (study, do, say, write, or something) and we'll figure out suitable forms for them. For example, studens comes from the verb studere (or studeo in some dictionaries), which means much more than studying.

My best guess now is scripta studentium, dicta studentium "things written by students, things said by students". I'm happy to give a better suggestion if you can comment on the tone of these words and perhaps suggest better ones (see a dictionary for both).

+1, but some comments: 1) I think a better (not perfect) analogy is acta -> done things // facta -> made things, 2) studeo does mean only tangentially to study, more properly to pay attention, take pains, be diligent 3) you may want to put scholare in bold: that's one important thing that wasn't mentioned in the previous comments – Rafael May 27 '16 at 21:07
    @Rafael, thanks! I updated it. 1) Acta is indeed a good choice to list here. 2) Studere means many things indeed, but the participle studens seems to have a slightly narrower connotation. It is listed separately in some dictionaries. I find it important that the Jed (the OP) looks at dictionary entries to see more details that should not be listed here. 3) I have a separate sentence about having scholare instead of scholaris. That is not the key point of my answer, though, so I prefer not to bold it. – Joonas Ilmavirta May 27 '16 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.