How would you say "same thing" in Latin? As in the sentence: If only you were feeling the same thing that I feel for you?

This is best expressed with the neuter pronoun idem, "same", in Latin. For example:

Utinam idem sentires ac ipsa/ipse sentio!
If only you felt the same as I (fem/masc) feel!

Alternatively, you could use the plural eadem, "same things". The difference in meaning is not huge, and Latin tends to favour plurals here more than English.

Latin doesn't usually use a noun for "thing" the same way English and many other languages do. Instead, a pronoun or an adjective in neuter is used.

I assume you were only after an expression for "same thing" here. If you want to find a good way to phrase the "for you" in "what I feel for you" in Latin, I recommend asking a new question.

I want to pick up on Joonas' answer, and just provide the sentence with the literal translation for "same thing":

Utinam sentires eandem rem quam sentio tibi

Whilst this might not be very common or appropriate for the particular context, eadem res is a valid expression in Roman Law (see top of page here).

• Interesting! Do you know whether res should be construed as a general "thing" or more like "case" or some other specific meaning in legal use? – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 9 '19 at 19:23
  • @JoonasIlmavirta For what I can see, seems to refer to the thing to which the aspect of the law is relevant. In the case of a trial, is the case or matter under judgment. Perhaps is not that pertinent for other type of "things". In any case, I found one instance (haven't searched for more) of a use which seems to be more general than a legal context in Aquinas' Summa Theologiae (see point 4 here). – luchonacho Apr 9 '19 at 19:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.