While working in class, I came across this. They have a similar spelling, yet mean completely different things. Is this just random or does it have an actual purpose in the Latin language?

• Book = Libri
  • Children = Liberi
+50

These words are unrelated: they developed independently from different Proto-Indo-European roots, according to Michiel de Vaan's Etymological Dictionary (337–38).

First, liber or librī, meaning "book," is thought to come from a PIE word meaning "leaf, rind": *lubʰ-ro-. De Vaan cites several Indo-European languages that have attested cognates and summarizes:

We may surmise that liber is cognate with *lubʰ- and goes back to a PIE word or a European word 'leaf, rind'.

On the other hand, līber, meaning "children," comes from a different PIE word (*h1leudʰ-ero-), through a Proto-Italic word *leuþ-ero. The word also means "free," and the "children" meaning developed later. De Vaan explains again:

The change of the pl. līberī to 'children' is explained by Benveniste from legal terminology, in which the legitimate 'children' of a free couple were denominated as 'free ones'.

So it's simply a coincidence that these words ultimately came to look very similar: they developed from distinct PIE roots.

It's also worth noting that the parent speech provenance reflects in the short i in lĭber the child (u > proto-Italic *i) but long *i in līber the book (from the diphthong *eu > *ī). These were simply two different sounds for a pre-classical and classical Latin speaker, not quite as similar as they are to the modern ear! – kkm Jul 28 '16 at 4:37
    And it is almost worth noting that the English have always been famous for teaching wrong quantities. With the result that Liber (book) with a short i gives us Library with a long i. But Līber (free/child) with a long ee sound gives English 'liberty' with short i – Hugh Jun 28 '17 at 4:48
    @kkm. It is actually the other way around. "Child" has a long i, "book" has a short i. – fdb Aug 17 '17 at 22:57
  • @fdb Better later than never. Thanks, of course I switched them around. – kkm Sep 19 '17 at 7:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.