This question already has an answer here:

enter image description here

I started learning Latin yesterday by myself using the Wheelock's Latin textbook My question was why are there 4 variations given of a word but only one translated meaning? What do these words mean?

marked as duplicate by sumelic, Vincenzo Oliva, luchonacho, Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 22 at 16:06

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• Welcome to the site! We marked your question as duplicate because essentially the same question was asked before. But there's nothing wrong with that; nobody expects you to read all previous questions. The point is to have the questions linked so that other readers can find all the related content easily. I hope that the answers here and in the linked question are helpful, and I look forward to more questions we can help you with! (If you haven't already, consider going through our quick introduction tour which describes all the main features.) – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 22 at 16:10

These are called the principal parts of the verb. They're the same verb, but in different forms.

Basically, one form isn't enough to know how to use a verb properly. Imagine if you didn't know English, and looked up the verb give in a dictionary. From that one form, how would you know the past tense? You'd probably guess *gived, but that would be wrong. How are you supposed to know it's actually gave?

So English verbs have three principal parts: if you look up give in a dictionary for English-learners, it'll list these parts as give, gave, given. From these three forms, you can create all the other forms you might need: he will give, I have given, you are giving, and so on.

Latin has these same three principal parts: dare means "give", dedī means "gave", and datum means "given". But there's a slight oddity in Latin that means you need one extra form as well: specifically means "I give", because that one sometimes looks different from what you'd expect. So those are the four forms every dictionary will list.

(P.S. Sometimes verbs won't have all these forms; you'll see some verbs listed with only three, or some with only two. This generally means certain forms are unattested: they've never been seen "in the wild", and are assumed not to exist. For example, meminī, meminisse, "remember", only appears in the past tense. A good dictionary will also explain which forms are missing and how to work around that.)

This is a common way to present the words. See for instance here. The represent, respectively, the first person present active indicative (amo), the infinitive (amare), the perfect active (amavi) and the supine (amatum). In other words, they are the same verb, but in different conjugations.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.