Is "Omnus nos eloquii mystici" correctly written to say "We are all sorcerers/enchanters"? I know there are different ways to say sorcerer or enchanter, but I really want to use "eloquii mystici". I just don't know if it's written correctly in plural.

Almost!

Omnus is probably a typo: you want omnēs to mean "all". Nōs is the correct word for "us".

Now, ēloquiī literally means "of eloquence" or "of an utterance", while mysticī is an adjective meaning "mystical" or "relevant to secret rites". So the sentence currently means something like "we are all [the people] of mystical eloquence". A bit of a strange phrasing, but not incorrect.

Since you mention "in plural", however, I'm guessing these words don't actually mean quite what you think they mean—as it is, they're singular in your motto. If you clarify your intended meaning a bit, I might be able to help you more. (For a word for "sorcerers" or "enchanters", I would use the straightforward magī or the Greek-derived goētēs; most of the other Latin words for sorcerers are pretty negative, meaning things like "curse-maker".)

• Exactly! Latin words for sorcerers are pretty negative and I read somewhere that "eloquii mystici" translated to something like expert magician, but I just wasn't sure about it. So "Omnēs nōs magī" is probably the best way to translate "we are all magicians/sorcerers"? Thank you for your time and help, I really appreciate it! – Vale Vanilla Mar 2 at 0:41
    @ValeVanilla If I were going from scratch, I'd actually say omnēs magī sumus. That just feels a bit better to me. But the meaning is the same. – Draconis Mar 2 at 0:55
  • You could also read mystici as a substantivized adjective, meaning "mysticians" instead of "mystical". Then the plurality is legitimate, meaning something like "eloquent mysticians". – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 2 at 9:41
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Wouldn't that require eloquii to be an adjective though? I only know it as a noun. – Draconis Mar 4 at 4:08
  • I read it as "mysticians of eloquence", so that the genitive noun would have no attribute. Such genitives do tend to come with attributes, but I was just proposing a possible alternative. – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 4 at 18:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.