Would ‘destinatus ad sanandum’ be a good translation of the medical term 'curative intent'?

The phrase 'curative intent' is used specifically for cancer patients where the surgeons or oncologist intends to cure the patient by eliminating or destroying the cancer cells. Thus a surgeon might say ‘I am going to treat the patient with curative intent by surgically removing the cancer tumour and surrounding tissues.’ I am looking for an appropriate Latin phrase that conveys the meaning of the medical phrase and whether other users can verify whether my Latin grammar is correct or to come up with something more suitable.

In September 2018 a related question was asked: How to say "Born to Heal" in Latin?.

Based on the answers given there, I'd go for ad sanandum. Due to the nature of the gerundium, there is no need to further specify "intent".

| improve this answer | |

In legal Latin, "criminal intent" is mens rea, literally "a guilty mind". This is separate from actus reus, the "guilty action" (i.e. a crime actually committed).

So if it's the intent as opposed to the result that's important, I would extend JobRozemond's answer, and say that "curative intent" is a mens ad sānandum—"a mind dedicated to curing". If you want to say you're doing something "with curative intent", that would be the ablative: mente ad sanandum.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.