I came across this and was wondering if other terminology in artificial intelligence can be translated to Latin. Considering how deeply entwined the field is with science and philosophy, it is only fair for there to be proper scientific names for it like in biology :D

• Welcome to the site! Can you specify which terms you would be interested in translating into Latin? I don't think there's a general Latin term bank for this purpose, and "other terminology in artificial intelligence" is too broad. It usually works best to ask for one translation at a time and use different questions for different terms. This site works best with focused questions. – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 7 at 18:08
  • Specifically the terms: "Gradient Descent" and "Backpropagation" – user3551708 Feb 7 at 23:43

"Propagation", as it happens, comes directly from the Latin verb prōpāgō, -āre, -āvī, ātus. A nice word for "backwards" is rētrō. So putting those together, you'd get rētrōprōpāgātiō "back-propagation".

"Gradient descent" is harder. English "gradient" comes from gradior "to go"; the native Latin word for "slope" is clīvus, -ī. I think in this case I'd back-form from the English and get gradientia, -ae, "gradient". Then "to descend" is dēscendō, -endere, -endī, -ensus. So "the descent down a gradient" is dēscensus per gradientiam.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.