Faciō, "to make" or "to do", is a common Latin verb. It's famous for being suppletive: it's missing most of its passive forms, and instead uses the active forms of the separate verb fiō "to become". (Compare English "go", which lost its past tense and had to steal some forms from the separate verb "wend".)

If I wanted to say that something "must be made", using a gerundive of obligation, how would I do that? Is that one of the rare passive forms of faciō that does exist, and can be used normally? Or would I use a gerundive of fiō instead, even though it's morphologically a passive form?

Yes, there is. A couple of notes:

• Faciendus (-a, -um) is attested. Perseus gives 21 results of the former. These include several forms of faciendus + [esse] (est, erat, esset)

• There is also a number of instances of gerund faciendum, -i, -o

• Ad faciendum:

Ad satis faciendum (Cic. Clu. 4):

Etenim tibi si in praesentia non potuero, tamen multae mihi ad satis faciendum reliquo tempore facultates dabuntur

Ad male faciendum (Pl. Epid. 3.2.44):

Nimis dóctus ille est ad male faciendum.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.