I came across this picture attached to a clickbaity article this morning:

partial abecedary

A nice, normal-looking Greek alphabet…except for something that looks like S in between epsilon and zeta.

What is this letter? The only letter that I can think of for that position is digamma, but I've never seen a digamma in that shape, only like F.

• This shape is used for terminal sigma, in contrast to medial; In my (Classical) Greek grammar it is shown for 6;in the Aldine Bible it is used with an extended top bar for monogram ts, (tau sigma); in greek alphabets it is often placed in the position previously occupied by digamma.This is all a preamble to saying it has several names: sigma, terminal sigma, tsau, tsigma, stigma, hex, and digamma.
    – Hugh
    Jan 18, 2019 at 2:15

2 Answers 2

I'd guess it's the symbol for 6, originally digamma, but later taking on an S-like shape. (It's a bit hard to make out, but I think the last two cells contain ΙΑ and ΙΒ, indicating a series of 1 to 12.)

So it's a sundial, perhaps? Would make sense with the needle in the middle of the circle.
    – Arthur
    Jan 15, 2019 at 8:33
  • That would be my guess.
    – varro
    Jan 15, 2019 at 17:04
  • @Arthur there's little doubt that it is one. In antiquity it was common to count 12 hours from sunrise to sunset
    – Rafael
    Jan 17, 2019 at 0:32

It is indeed one of the forms of Digamma, the form particularly used as a numeral. See Here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.