Please could you help me to create a Latin motto which means ‘I am, therefore I thank.’ I’ve thought of sum ergo laudo, but perhaps laudo is closer to ‘I praise’. I’m looking for a word with a nuance closer to ‘I give thanks’ or ‘I am thankful’ but, because this is for a motto, I should like to capture the meaning of ‘I thank’ in a single Latin verb. Am I correct in thinking that the word order in the motto would be sum + ergo + (the word you suggest)? Thanks so much!

There is no Latin verb that means "thank". There is the noun "thank", gratia, and you can "give thanks", agere gratias. Using this, you'd get sum ergo gratias ago.

But this might sound a little clumsy, so using laudare (which is more "to praise" than "to thank") is a decent option. Whether you value simplicity or accuracy more is a matter of taste. With laudare you'd get sum ergo laudo as you suggest.

This question deals with ways of saying "thank you" in Latin. Looking at L&S entry for bene, we can see that "I thank you" can be said as

bene facis, bene vocas, bene narras

Thus, you could say something like

sum ergo bene vocas

Later in the entry there is a suggestion bene alone can also be used, as also stated in the linked question.

PS: credit goes to the linked question for inspiration.

• Hmm... Bene facis and the others mean roughly "you do well". That is, they're more "you deserve praise" than "I give praise". Latin seems to want to phrase things that way, but I'm not sure they work well in a motto. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jan 14 at 13:12
    Thank you so much for your help and expertise, so willingly and promptly given. – Christopher Jan 14 at 18:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.