Please check if my translation is correct for this phrase: I have forgotten more than you ever knew:

Plus quam umquam sciebas oblitus sum

Is the word order correct, or should I put oblitus sum first? Should I have to use tu here or it can be omitted?

(Should it be plura as the object of oblitus sum?) – Hugh Jan 11 at 15:14
  • Tu is rarely obligatory, but I'd use it since there's some contrastive emphasis on "you" here. – TKR Jan 12 at 22:07

I would change three things.

First, instead of plus, which in context would mean "more often" or "to a greater extent" and usually signals that the verb is to be repeated, I would use the plural direct object plura (more things). Now the comparison makes sense.

Second, I would use a perfect tense rather than an imperfect with umquam. The perfect is much more common, since the word means "at any point."

Third, I would put the quam clause at the end rather than embedding it, since that's more natural.

Plura oblitus sum quam umquam scivisti.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.