Trying to improve my understanding of biblical greek and ran across something odd.

Theos - Θεός is nominative.
Theon - Θεόν is accusative.
TheO - Θεῷ is dative.
Theou - Θεοῦ genitive.
Theoi - θεοί seems to be plural.

What would he vocative case version of Theos be? From what I've read singular masculine words would generally replace the ός with an ε, leaving us with Θεε, which doesn't seem right. ... if theos were to be used in the vocative case, would it just be written in the nominative form?

migrated from christianity.stackexchange.com Jan 9 at 17:20

This question came from our site for committed Christians, experts in Christianity and those interested in learning more.

Classical Greek doesn't use very much the name θεός in vocative case; in case, the vocative form is θεός, like the nominative. But the vocative form θεέ is commonly used in later Greek (together with θεός): recall Θεέ μου θεέ μου, ἵνα τί με ἐγκατέλιπες; (Mt 27:46).

Note that also in Latin the vocative of deus is the same as the nominative: the same verse from Matthew, in the Latin version, has Deus meus, Deus meus, ut quid dereliquisti me?

Welcome to the site! I'm glad to see another mathematician with classical interests. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jan 11 at 12:48
    Excellent answer! Though I wouldn't say that that's a vocative of deus in the Latin: the vocative of meus would be . Instead I see that passage as showing that deus just plain doesn't have a vocative, so it uses the nominative, and everything agreeing with it goes nominative too. – Draconis Jan 13 at 23:32
    Thank you. Sure, the vocative in classical Latin is mi. And I agree that a direct question or exclamation doesn't necessarily imply a vocative. But at least here, isn't X in "X, why did you leave me?", logically, a vocative? Besides "Mi Deus!" and "Deus mi!" are used in biblical Latin (but, yes, maybe later?), which shows, by your reasoning, that at least sometimes "Deus" can be a vocative. – Pietro Majer Jan 14 at 22:44
    I used to think that here "meus" is a vocative form of biblical Latin, maybe somehow attracted by "Deus". In fact I am a bit confused. I'd say (in semi-serious way) that here "Deus meus" is "formally nominative and logically vocative". – Pietro Majer Jan 14 at 22:45
    @PietroMajer Actually, this is worth asking about separately, because now I'm curious. – Draconis Jan 19 at 17:30

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.