I’m trying to conjugate aperio to say, “I reveal/uncover/disclose”. So, I guess I have two questions. First, is aperio the correct verb to say this? And, if so, what is the correct conjugation?

2 Answers 2

Aperiō literally means to uncover something, to lay it bare. It can also be used for opening a door, restoring vision to blind eyes, explaining a concept to others, and so on.

A good way to find these meanings for an arbitrary word is to use the Perseus word study tool. Put in your word, choose "Latin", and submit. It should show all the possibilities on the left; when you've found the right one, click the "Lewis & Short" link to see a full dictionary entry for it.

Grammatically, you're in luck: the sample form given for a Latin verb (which usually ends in ) means "I do the thing". So aperiō literally means "I uncover".

• Thanks! That’s exactly the help I was looking for. Again, thanks so much.
    – Todd
    Dec 28, 2018 at 0:52
    @Todd No problem! If this answered the question, remember you can "accept" the answer by clicking the checkmark on the left, under the arrows.
    – Draconis
    Dec 28, 2018 at 1:16

This site should have some answers for you: http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php?D1=9&T1=aperio

I believe it is conjugated as a normal 4th declension verb.

Welcome to the site, William! In case the link dies some day in the future, can you summarize the information in your answer? An answer should also be meaningful without following any external links.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Dec 28, 2018 at 8:06
  • Is that better? Dec 28, 2018 at 15:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.