What's a possible Latin motto meaning roughly "from nothing to existence/reality/something"? I'd like it to be ambiguous if possible, preferably implying "(something) comes into being from nothing" and "from nothingness (as a gift/message) to reality/existence" and "(a path or road) from nothingness to existence" at the same time.

Persius (Satire III, 83-84) wrote:

De nihilo nihilum, in nihilum nil posse reverti.

"Nothing comes from nothing, nothing can return to nothing."

In Latin double negations are fairly frequent and almost always used to express a positive. So one way to say what you want is De nihilo non nihilum, literally "From nothing not nothing". Pretty ambiguous, and I personally prefer this to De nihilo aliquid for your purpose.

Inspired by the Catholic concept of creatio ex nihilo, another possibility I've thought of is Substantia ex nihilo: substantia has many meanings, among which "existence, life" - e.g. habeo substantiam means "I exist". Since one may tend to think of "substance, essence" rather than "existence", this is probably most ambiguous. Ex nihilo means again "from nothing, from zero".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.