Sometime in Jan/Feb 2018, the Bodleian library published this image showing a number of P.Oxy. 1231 fragments with some P.Oxy. 2166(a) fragments attached. Recently, I tried to identify each and every fragment there by comparing the image with the Grenfell-Hunt transcriptions at vol. X of The Oxyrhynchus Papyri and the Lobel transcriptions from vol. 15 provided as scans in this answer and the Lobel-Page texts, and there is one I can't find:

enter image description here

This appears to have only one line, and maybe a vestige below. The line seems to read ΑΤΡΕΪΔ[.

Moreover, there is this fragment, which I seem to have identified as P.Oxy. 2166(a) fr. 1 via Lobel-Page, but is not in the addenda:

enter image description here

So:

1. What is that first fragment?
  2. Why is 2166(a) fr. 1 in vol. 17 instead of vol. 21 (i.e. the addenda)? Why are the other 2166(a) numbered this way? Are there a 2166(b) group and/or a 2166 group? Is the placement of the addenda due to them being recognized as belonging with P.Oxy. 1231 only after vol. 20 was published?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.