How should I say in Classical Latin the following phrases?

• "Explain yourself!"

• "I didn't explain myself well", "I didn't make myself / wasn't clear"

I've been thinking of the verbs explico and explano, and the adjective dilucidus,a,um , but I couldn't find a natural and attested way to phrase those expressions.

Well, here we have the reflexive pronouns and

Moreover, with the tone you are setting with the phrase "explain yourself," I would think excusa would be better.

Therefore:

Tē excusa! Explain yourself!
Mē non bene (clare; delucide) explicare. I did not explain myself well (clearly).
Non mē clarus/-a (dilucidus/-a) fuī. I was not clear.
-or better-
Non mē claravī. I did not make myself clear.

(someone correct me on the case of the reflexive)

• "Explain yourself!" may indeed sometimes (not always though) be tantamount to "Justify yourself!", but in that case excuso does not seem the way to go: L&S give "to excuse sb/sth, to apologize for, to atone for". // The verbs claro and explico don't seem to take a personal pronoun - at least, I couldn't find any instances of explicavi me or claravi me (and analogues). // For a person, to be clarus/a meant to be "illustrious", not "clear" - and dilucidus refers to speech itself, not people. – Vincenzo Oliva May 15 at 10:16
  • @ Vincenzo Oliva: Do you have any recommendation for a good lexicon or dictionary that would better explain the subtleties to better aid my diction? – Media Matella Lucretia Flores May 17 at 20:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.