Are there any ancient works, or parts of ancient works, which we possess in both Greek and Latin -- i.e. both the original and a translation, made in antiquity, into the other language?

I know there are many cases of e.g. Roman historians basing their work on Greek sources, which in some cases have also survived, but these (AFAIK) tend not to be straight translations, but adaptations. And there are Latin translations of Greek works which we know about (e.g. Livius Andronicus's Odyssey), but these survive only fragmentarily. What I would like to be able to do is to read the same passage in Greek and Latin, side by side -- preferably both versions being from classical antiquity (rather than a later translation of a classical work). Has anything like this survived?

Are you looking for a classical Latin translation of a Greek work? As worded, this question can be answered by any of those fine green tomes of Migne's Patrologia Graeca – brianpck Apr 23 '16 at 17:35
    I assume you're excluding the Greek New Testament and the Vulgate? – Joel Derfner Apr 23 '16 at 17:41
  • @brianpck Yes, sorry to be unclear -- I'm mostly interested in translations made in antiquity. – TKR Apr 23 '16 at 21:46
  • @JoelDerfner I actually had not thought of the Scriptures, good point. But I was thinking more of the standard genres of classical literature (historiography, philosophy etc.). – TKR Apr 23 '16 at 21:47

Catullus 51 (Ille mi par esse deo videtur…) is a fairly literal translation of a very famous poem by Sappho (φαίνεταί μοι κῆνος ἴσος θέοισιν).

• Good find, now you're on top. – Cerberus Apr 25 '16 at 2:46

I suspect that you may be looking for a translation made in Antiquity, but I couldn't resist posting a few scans from this book I have here:

enter image description here

enter image description here

I did mean a translation made in antiquity (edited the question now to clarify that), but nevertheless, thanks for posting these beautiful scans! – TKR Apr 23 '16 at 21:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.