Recently, a new international football competition was inaugurated, namely the UEFA Nations League. Being this a European-wide cup, the organisers decided to have the anthem in ... Latin! Certainly a better choice than the Champions League anthem, which is in English, French and German.

The new anthem is here (is actually quite good!). The "official" lyrics are here. As you can quickly realise, the ordering of the latter does not match the ones in the song. So instead, you can look at this video, which syncronises the lyrics with the song.

Now, most of it makes sense. But two things are not clear.

1. The bits that allegedly say "Hanc in lucem" (e.g. here). I imagine the singers are not using an Ecclesiastical pronunciation (with which I'm most familiar), so the c is not as in Italian ( /tʃ/, when preceding an e or an i ) but as a "k". Hence the pronunciation? Is that what they are really saying?

2. Around 1:14, it allegedly says "Lude", but it just sound so different to it - sounds a bit like meda (not a Latin word). Can you recognise that bit of the lyrics?

• @DenisNardin It surely can be. Where did you get that meaning from? What's the verb? I can't find it. – luchonacho Dec 8 '18 at 20:24
  • @luchonacho Sorry, my memory was faulty. Looking for it though I found that meta can mean goal (perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/…, meaning II). It survived with that meaning in Italian to denote the name of the try in rugby. Dunno though, so I'll stop speculating – Denis Nardin Dec 8 '18 at 20:35
  1. Indeed the singers pronounce lucem as /luˈkɛːm/, but their pronunciation is actually inconsistent, e.g. vince is [ˈvɪŋ.kɛ] (neither Classical nor Ecclesiastical), and "ae" is pronounced [e] in praesta but also [ae̯] in iunctae.
  2. The description of this video gives the correct lyrics: it is not lude! but certa! (struggle!, strive!).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.