I am trying to find a name for a company related to a feminist movement. I put in "female strength" and it came back Vi Femina. Is this correct? I checked a different site and put in that Vi Femina and it came back with zero results. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Femina is a noun, feminina is the related adjective. Does that fit your purpose? – Rafael Nov 19 '18 at 17:50
    " in genere Amazonarum mulierum, ubi fortitudo et robur feminarum prefertur fortitudini virorum, ..." Thomas Cantimpratensis – Hugh Nov 19 '18 at 18:14
    Do you want to say "feminine strength" or "strength of women"? They seem slightly different in tone to me and may have some bearing on vocab choice (and definitely on the grammar). – Penelope Nov 20 '18 at 1:55

What about feminarum potestas? The word potestas, according to Wikipedia, is core in Roman Law, and reflects "a manifestation of socially recognized power". Might be fitting for the company's spirit.

The above phrase assumes plural object, and translates as "the power of women". An alternative is feminae potestas, meaning "the power of woman", but I think the plural might be better.

Joonas also suggests potestas feminina, meaning "feminine power". A good option for sure.

How about the option potestas feminina? The plural genitive is good, but the adjective is a worthwhile option. – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 20 '18 at 11:15
    @JoonasIlmavirta Added to the answer. Will share the credit with you. – luchonacho Nov 20 '18 at 13:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.