Priusquam digressus est, Aeneas a rege Heleno quaesivit quae pericula sibi vitanda essent. Ille Aenean ad Phoebi templum manu duxit, deinde dixit: "Nate dea! Pauca tibi dicam, nam cetera fari vetat Iuno....Ubi ventus ad oram Siculam te advexerit, laevam pete! Nam illud fretum duo monstra horrenda tenent. ...Praestat totam Siciliam longo cursu circum ire. "

This is passage is part of chapter Andromache et Helenus in Lingva Latina of Pars II Roma Aeterna by Hans H.Orberg. I was only able to translate the first sentence that Aeneas met king Heleno who asked him about what difficulties Aeneas would need to avoid. (correct me if I am wrong). However, I really don't understand the any lines after that. I am just a second year Latin student who randomly got put into a higher class, and my latin skill is very lacking. I am sorry that I am just asking people for help without giving the necessary context. This is the first time I am using this website, and I just want to get help in Latin. Any help would me much appreciated.

Also, if what is the subject of tenent?

Welcome to the site! Some background information would be useful. Where is this passage from? Do you know if this is from a book that has already been translated? Do you need the translation for a specific purpose? Have you tried translating it yourself? – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 7 at 5:05
    I'm closing this question as off-topic because insufficient context and own thought has been demonstrated. The question can be reopened once edited to elaborate. – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 7 at 21:37
    I am sorry that I couldn't fix this sooner. I am also sorry for the lack of context and original thoughts I put in when asking this question. Thank you for telling me all this so I could have a better idea of how to be part of the community and this website. – Sam Abraham Nov 7 at 22:16
  • What is the subject of tenent? – Sam Abraham Nov 8 at 3:49
  • The subject of tenent is (are) duo monstra horrenda, and they 'hold' in a military sense. – Hugh Nov 9 at 1:41

Here are the bare bones of the piece; I hope you can find your way from here. Good Luck.

Priusquam digressus est (Temporal clause "Before he(Aeneas) set off...)

Aeneas a rege Heleno quaesivit (Main clause "Aeneas inquired from King H...)

quae pericula sibi vitanda essent.(Indirect question(subjunctive) "..what dangers there were)

Ille Aenean ad... manu duxit, (New main clause "He led A by the hand to...)

"Pauca tibi dicam, nam... (Direct speech: "Few things I will say to you, because...)

Ubi ventus ad oram Siculam te advexerit, (Adverbial "When the wind drives you...)

laevam pete! (Imperative "Aim for the...)

Nam illud fretum duo monstra horrenda tenent.(Causal "Because monsters hold

...Praestat ... circum ire. " (Main Clause "It is better to go round)

• Thank you! Another question, what ablative is the word "manu"? – Sam Abraham Nov 10 at 3:07
  • The naming of Ablatives changes even more frequently than the rules of football. Try this thelatinlibrary.com/101/ablative3.pdf Look under #2 INSTRUMENTAL B Ablativus modi. Translate it as 'led him by the hand' or, to show you know the idiom, 'led him by force.' – Hugh Nov 10 at 8:24
  • But could it also be ablatives of mean? – Sam Abraham Nov 10 at 16:10
  • @SamAbraham, Go with it! – Hugh Nov 10 at 20:17

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.