I'm having trouble translating "every Branch Shares The Same Root" into Latin for a school emblem. so far I have "OMNE GENERE CONSOCIARE QUOD IDEM RADIX" also this is a bit long for a school emblem patch. If there would be something shorter I could uses with fewer phrases please let me know! The name of the school is "The Global Great Growers Institute." Thank you and I appreciate your advice!

• obligatory 'hodie natus est radici frater' (an infamous Multics error message) – Artelius Nov 4 '18 at 1:55
  • First piece of advice: Don't use Google Translate for Latin. It is always wrong. – fdb Nov 7 '18 at 14:32

My suggestion is:

Rami universi ex una radice.

Literally, this means "all the branches from the same root". There is no need for an explicit verb, especially for a motto. There are a couple of choices here I wish to point out explicitly:

• The wording is compact so as to fit a motto.
  • I used chiastic word order to highlight the branches and the root at the ends of the motto. It also puts the words universi and una next to each other for emphatic comparison.
  • There are many words for "all" in Latin. Out of these, universi means most "all together". The word itself means literally "turned into one".
  • Thank you so much for your quick reply you have been very helpful, I have a follow up question based on what you have written. What is the difference between Radice and Radix? Would one over the other change the meaning of the phrase? – Sacred Seed Nov 4 '18 at 20:59
  • @SacredSeed I'm glad to be able to help! Those are different cases (forms) of the same word. The preposition ex requires the ablative case. The nominative is radix, the ablative is radice, and there is a bunch of other forms as well. If you change the form, the sentence becomes ungrammatical. – Joonas Ilmavirta Nov 4 '18 at 21:21

I would translate it as:

Omnis ramus eiusdem radicis socius est.

And to make it shorter, you could use:

Omnis ramus radicis socius.

That simply reads:

Every branch is a partaker of the root.

However, to answer your question, communicare is a verb which means to share. It might be used as follows:

Omnis ramus eandem radicem communicat.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.