The LXX provides a wide variety of Hebrew, Aramaic, and other Semitic words transcribed into Greek. Most of the transcriptions are straightforward: the letter lamedh ל, for example, is always transcribed as lambda λ.

However, the letter shin שׁ is less consistent. At the beginning of a word, it's always written with a single sigma σ. But between vowels, it's sometimes written with a double sigma σσ.

For example:

• מָשִׁיחַ‎ > Μεσσίας (double sigma)
  • יֵשׁוּעַ > Ἰησοῦς (single sigma)

What affects the decision to use one versus the other?

• Related: latin.stackexchange.com/questions/6510/… – Draconis Nov 3 '18 at 1:28
    There are also a couple of odd spellings with upsilon before or after the sigma: Συμεών, Μωυσῆς. I wonder if this is because the Semitic [ʃ] was rounded. – TKR Nov 3 '18 at 3:01
    We need to look it up in Knobloch, Frederick W, "Hebrew sounds in Greek script: Transcriptions and related phenomena in the Septuagint, with special focus on Genesis" (1995). – Alex B. Nov 4 '18 at 2:35

Note: this answer is pure speculation (or original research, if you're feeling generous), not backed up by any scholarly references.

Neither Varro nor I marked vowel length in our Hebrew and Aramaic transcriptions. But what if we go back and add that?

• מְשִׁיחַ‎ məšīaħmessias
  • יֵשׁוּעַ jēšūaʕiēsūs
  • אַבְשָׁלוֹם 'abəšālōmabessalōm
  • הוֹשֵׁעַ hōšēaʕhōsēe
  • אֱלִישָׁע 'əlīšāʕelisaie

For a few more examples:

• בָּשְׂמַת bāsəmathbasemath
  • אֱלִישֶׁבַע 'əlīšebhaʕelisabet
  • עֵשָׂו ʕēsāwēsau
  • יְהוֹשָׁפָט‬ jəhōšāphāṭiōsaphat
  • בַשָׂמ basāmbalsamon (*)

A pattern seems clear: a double sigma is used after a short vowel, a single sigma after a long one.

(A single sigma is also used word-initially and after a consonant, but that's less interesting, since no native Greek word has a double sigma in either of those environments.)

(*) This loan presumably happened earlier, before /ɬ/ merged into /s/. But it still shows a double consonant after a short vowel in the Greek transcription.

| improve this answer | |
  • This is a very interesting suggestion. If correct it would point to a phenomenon in Hebrew, not one in Greek. Something like a rule in pre-Masoretic Hebrew that shin takes dagesh forte after a short or ultra-short vowel. It might be compared with the way that initial consonants are doubled after the article ha-. – fdb Jun 25 '19 at 14:14
  • Interesting! This raises (to me at least) the question whether they were all initially double sigma but gemination was dropped after a long vowel as somehow redundant. Or perhaps the quality of shin depended on the length of the preceding vowel or the Greeks heard so. There are Greek words with a double sigma after a long vowel, but my impression is that they were pretty rare. Should we have a question whether this rule is as consistent as your preliminary research suggests? – Joonas Ilmavirta Jun 25 '19 at 14:50
  • It would be interesting to see if this pattern also holds up with ס (samekh). – TKR Jun 25 '19 at 16:39
  • @TKR Indeed! I'm going to see if I can find a proper list of Semitic loans in the Septuagint, which I can then search for medial sigmas (sigmata?), and compare against the original…it'll be a lot more scientific than my current "Google for Old Testament names and look for ones with S's in them". – Draconis Jun 25 '19 at 16:41
  • @fdb Apparently also Aramaic, since the first vowel of "messias" is long in Hebrew (מָשִׁיחַ‎) but short in Aramaic (מְשִׁיחָא‎) – b a Jun 25 '19 at 19:02

I think that TKR's remark on the occasional spellings with υ may also be relevant to the matter. Note that in Ἰησοῦς with the single σ, the the ש is in the vicinity of a rounded vowel.

Also interesting is that while שְלֹמֹה (Shelomo/Solomon) is Σαλωμῶν (or a variant), אַבְשָׁלוֹם (Abshalom/Absalom) is Αβεσσαλωμ, with medial σσ. Also note אֲבִשַׁי (Abishai) -> Αβεσσα (σσ); הוֹשֵׁעַ (Hoshea/Hosea) -> Ωσηε (σ, rounded vowel).

For υ, also note שְׁכֶם (Shechem) -> Συχεμ (but also Σικιμα)

It looks to me like there is at least a partial correlation based on whether a rounded vowel is in the vicinity of the שׁ, but it cannot be regarded as predicative (in fact, I've mentioned a counter-example elsewhere: אֱלִישָׁע (Elisha) -> Ελισαιε).

| improve this answer | |
  • Interesting! So if I'm understanding right, you're saying that a single sigma was used initially and adjacent to a rounded vowel, while a double sigma was used elsewhere? – Draconis Nov 3 '18 at 16:34
  • @Draconis that might be putting it a bit too strongly, but I think there was a tendency to do that. – varro Nov 3 '18 at 16:36
  • The ypsilon of Συχεμ is surely /i/, not a rounded vowel. – fdb Jun 25 '19 at 13:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.