The motto for Concordia University Saint Paul (MN) reads: "In litteris proficere volo, malo diligere Jesum."

The CSP website, magazine (Spring 2009), and various internet sources offer these translations—some literal and some interpretive:

-I wish to be proficient in academics, but even more I wish to know Jesus.

-It is good to pursue knowledge, better to know Jesus.

-Will Prosper in Academics and Be Diligent in Christ.

And even this interesting adaptation:

-Lord, give us joy in education especially knowing the love of Christ.

I'm having a hard time fitting "malo" into this, because everything I've found or learned relates it to bad or evil. I've tried my Cassell's, and the Latin Dictionary.

Is there a comparative or superlative at work (or play;) here, that I am not comprehending?

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

• In your dictionary malo in the sense 'prefer' is listed as malle, the infinitive.<latindictionary.wikidot.com/search:site/q/malle> – Hugh Oct 22 at 1:26
  • Yes, there it was right where you noted. I sailed right by it somehow. This is why it takes a village, and I will endeavor not to perform the function of said village's idiot henceforth! Thanks. – Verbiwhore Oct 22 at 1:53
up vote 7 down vote accepted

malo here is the first-person singular active indicative form of malle, which means “I prefer”. It has nothing to do with either malus “bad” (or, for that matter, malum “apple”). I believe that the verb is a contraction of maius “better” and velle “to want”.

EDIT: Lewis & Short says that it's actually from magis "more" + velle.

• Thank you, NRitH, for your answer. Please see disclaimer in my comment above. However, I wanted to let you know that I learned something else (beyond my momentary myopia when attempting a search this arvo) interesting from your post, namely the idea of the "contraction of maius 'better' and velle 'to want'" that I had not considered. Cheers! – Verbiwhore Oct 22 at 1:59
  • @Verbiwhore like I said, that’s my guess as to its etymology, but I haven’t looked it up to confirm it. – NRitH Oct 22 at 2:02
    @Verbiwhore and NRitH: Figuring out the exact etymology of malle and the evidence for it would make a nice separate question. There are people here with the knowledge to shed light such things. – Joonas Ilmavirta Oct 22 at 7:33
    No need. It's actually from magis + velle, according to Lewis & Short. I was close! – NRitH Oct 22 at 11:35
    @NRitH You weren't really wrong, though—*majus* and magis are built on the same stem, and it's that stem (without either suffix) that led to malle, iirc. – Draconis Oct 22 at 18:16

To add to this, there's an old mnemonic rhyme for the word malo:

Mālō, I would rather be
Mālō, in an apple tree
Mālō, than a ship at sea
Mălō, in adversity

It's a confusingly ambiguous word! In the first line, it's a form of mālle, "to want"; in the second line, it's the ablative of position of mālus, "apple tree"; in the third line, it's the ablative of comparison of mālus, "upright beam, post, mast" (or "ship" by synecdoche); in the fourth line, it's the masculine ablative of mălus, "bad". The fourth of these is the only one that looks any different, since it has a short ă rather than a long ā.

• This is wonderful! – NRitH Oct 22 at 22:34
  • What a fascinating word pond! Charmed I am to be / sprouting cognitively / at sea in synecdoche / enlightened incredulity! – Verbiwhore Oct 24 at 1:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.