I have seen quite a few translations such as,

Audentes Fortuna Juvas
Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
Audecis Fortuna Juvat

But, what is the correct translation? I am looking for the one which matches Virgil's Aeneid the best.

If you're looking to quote the Aeneid, here's the relevant section, from X.279-84.

quod votis optastis adest, perfringere dextra.
in manibus Mars ipse viris. nunc coniugis esto
quisque suae tectique memor, nunc magna referto
facta, patrum laudes. ultro occurramus ad undam
dum trepidi egressisque labant vestigia prima.
audentis Fortuna iuvat.

A very literal English translation:

What you have all hoped for with your prayers is finally here: to break through with your right hands [i.e. with your weapons]. Mars himself gives strength to your hands. Now all of you, remember your wives and your roofs [i.e. homes], now think back to the great deeds [of the past], [and] the glories of our fathers [i.e. ancestors]. Now let's rush out into the waves to meet them, while the nervous [enemies] coming down [from their ships] take their first unsteady steps. Fortune favors the daring!

These lines are spoken by Turnus; the last is the one you want. Since audentīs is the participle of audeō "dare" I would translate this version as "Fortune favors the daring", but that's just a stylistic choice.

The choice between audentīs and audentēs, as Joonas mentions, is a stylistic one; they mean exactly the same thing in Classical times. I'd go with -īs just because it's what Vergil used.

I would add that the accusative ending -es instead of -is is a valid choice in classical Latin although not used by Virgil, so audentes Fortuna iuvat is a faithful rendering of the original.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Oct 15 '18 at 21:04
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Fair; added!
    – Draconis
    Oct 15 '18 at 21:12
  • Re: the ending see latin.stackexchange.com/a/1618/39
    – Alex B.
    Oct 15 '18 at 22:14
  • cf. line 280, Gian Biago Conte, in the most recent, 2011 Teubner edition, "in manibus Mars ipse , uiri!"
    – Alex B.
    Oct 16 '18 at 1:44

Fortuna (the goddess) favors the daring. The capitalization of the F is not a mere oversight. It is to distinguish between the goddess Fortuna, and the concept of fortune.

I guarantee Vergil did not distinguish case, and the goddess Fortuna is just the personification of the concept of fortune anyway.
    – Cairnarvon
    Apr 14 at 3:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.