In the postscript to this answer, Varro comments:

…the L&S entry for ἰχθυβολος shows two possible accents, a paroxytone ἰχθυβόλος for an active meaning, and a proparoxytone ἰχθύβολος for a passive meaning. This type of distinction is regular for compound nouns of this type.

That's something I'd never come across before—I'm familiar with finite verb accents moving back as far as possible, and other accents sticking in fixed places, but never with an accent shifting to show active vs passive voice.

Which words do this? (I.e. what are "compound nouns of this type"?) And is it a well-known/common phenomenon?

up vote 7 down vote accepted

In general, compounds in -ος of nouns or adverbs with transitive verb stems, with certain exceptions, do this. (Exceptions include nouns ending in ‐κος or ‐τος and certain verb stems such as ‐οχος, ‐αρχος and some others.)

There is a fuller description by H. W. Smyth here, you but may have to fiddle with your browser settings to be able to read it.

Here are some other interesting examples cited by Smyth:

πατροκτόνος "parricide" vs πατρόκτονος "slain by a father"
λιθοβόλος "throwing-stones" vs λιθόβολος "pelted by stones"
λαιμοτόμος "throat-cutting" vs λαιμότομος "with throat cut"

• Excellent! Would you mind adding a couple examples? – Draconis Oct 11 at 16:55
  • @Draconis Done. – varro Oct 11 at 17:12

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.