I would like to give a memorable title to a short text that I am writing and I thought of the above one in reference to the short novel by E. A. Poe, The Purloined Letter.

A few attempts with automatic translation tools gave me mediocre results and my Latin is unfortunately very rusty. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this translation.

Nb.: the capitalized word "Arithmetic" refers to the field of mathematics studying numbers and is thus intended as a noun, not an adjective.

This is a relatively simple answer, only requiring three (or four) words, the nouns epistola and arithmētica, and the perfect passive participle of the verb surripiō, surreptus. All combined together, you get the following phrase:

Epistola surrepta Arithmēticae

If you want to be fancy, arithmētica is a Greek loanword and can thus be declined using its Greek declension, utilizing the genitive -ēs ending instead of the standard -ae.

Epistola surrepta Arithmēticēs

In addition, if the word the is emphatic in your English title, you might want to consider using the weak demonstrative adjective, like so:

Ea epistola surrepta Arithmēticae (-ēs)

As is with Latin, you can rearrange the word order to your personal preference; I am simply following your original order for the sake of simplicity.

• @SamuelVidal No problem! I am curious, however; which one of these did you ultimately end up selecting? – Ethan Bierlein Sep 30 '18 at 19:51
  • I'm not too sure yet. I like that you gave several options giving me elements to explain them. Arithmēticae is good since latin is fancy enough. The emphatic Ea matches the title of the novel, so I might keep it, but I like the shortness of the first translation so I think I will chose this one. – Samuel Vidal Oct 2 '18 at 7:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.