How could the verb phrase 'tidy up' be put in Latin please?

• There are quite a number of Latin verbs with meanings around cleaning, all used differently. When you refer to the action of "tidying up", who is performing the action, who is the recipient of the action, is it figurative or literal, etc.? – Ethan Bierlein Sep 22 '18 at 22:07
  • It is entirely literal - for a group of people who need to tidy up a room, as in put away and also throw away rubbish, as you would tidying a bedroom. I think the suggestion below will work fine. Thank you – Lorna Ellis Sep 24 '18 at 22:30

The phrase 'tidy up' usually means 'return things to their proper places'. It may also, of course, include removing all the detritus of some operation.

In English we might say 'clear away' or 'sweep out', and 'tidy up'. If this is what you are looking for, then the verb verro, verri, versum is appropriate for both clearing and sweeping. The best option for making tidy, or 'putting things back (in their places)', is repono, reposui, repositum.

You could expand on the simple repono by adding in loca propria, 'in the proper places'. The context will decide if you need to do this.

• That is so useful, thank you. All I could find was that a late Latin word for the adj 'tidy' is ''mundus', but your verb choice w 'in loco propria' will be much better. I was being entirely literal. – Lorna Ellis Sep 24 '18 at 22:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.