Suppose I want to talk about "fallen angels": angels who (according to some Abrahamic sects) rebelled against God and were cast out of Heaven.

What would be the appropriate word for this? I'm not very familiar with Christian terminology in Latin.

• Daemonium is undoubtedly the primary term to refer to fallen angels. Now for the sole adjective the choice is less obvious. I guess both casus and lapsus are good – Rafael Sep 17 '18 at 14:33
    @luchonacho The concept of fallen angels isn't universal within some of the major Abrahamic religions, which is why I use "sect" instead: for example, some sects of Judaism believe in fallen angels, while others don't. – Draconis Sep 17 '18 at 15:30
  • Latin transliteration for nephilim? But that comes with baggage. – 2927 Sep 18 '18 at 17:32

I'd say angeli lapsi, based on the general use of lapsus in Catholic theology. There's no direct example in the Bible, I believe, but is supported by e.g., the Latin Catechism, which inter alia says:

Satan seu Diabolus ceteraque demonia angeli sunt lapsi quia libere renuerunt Deo Eiusque servire consilio. Eorum contra Deum optio definitiva est. Hominem eorum rebellioni contra Deum sociare conantur. [see http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism_lt/p1s2c1p7_lt.htm ]

| improve this answer | |

The verb used in Luke 10:18 is (not surprisingly) cadere: Videbam Satanam sicut fulgor de cælo cadentem.

Similarly Gal. 5:4: a gratia excidistis "ye are fallen from grace".

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.