Linguā Anglicā, saepe cum multīs adverbīs atque adiectīvīs, plūrima quōrum significātiōnēs absolūtās habent (exempla sunt "always" vel "everything" vel "nothing" vel "never", et cētera), adverbō "almost" ūtimur ut significēmus adverbum vel adiectīvum nōn ferre subtīlem, sed significātiōnem quae propē principālem est. Exempla:

• "almost always"
  • "almost everything"
  • "almost nothing"
  • "almost never"

Ūtāmurne linguā Latīnā verbō ferē eōdem modō (exempla ferē nihil vel ferē semper, et cētera) ut linguā Anglicā, aut aliō?

Sī male Latīnē scrīpsī, apologiās vōbīs agō.

FWIW, L&S lists a pair of examples of the word paene modifying adjectives as you ask: totidem paene, cuncta paene. Both in Cicero. – Rafael Sep 6 at 17:05
    @Rafael Grātiās tibi! – Ethan Bierlein Sep 6 at 17:10
    A quick peek in OLD does indeed show examples of fer(m)e used with semper, nihil, numquam, and omnia. It not infrequently follows the word that it qualifies. – cnread Sep 6 at 19:38
    Alternatively, Isidore gives two examples of the comparative for English '-ish.' One is Elder Senior which he says is somebody less old than Senex. Adv. saepiuscule is given as fairly often. – Hugh Sep 7 at 1:07
    @AlexB. In the grand scheme of things they are certainly not necessary, but as someone who is making an effort to be able to speak and listen to Latin, I find them valuable. It's also just a matter of personal preference too; I don't find them particularly distracting. I am somewhat obsessive with regards to "accuracy" of things too; this extends to the macronization of long vowels in written Latin. – Ethan Bierlein Sep 16 at 21:21
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Ita est, saltem in Latina post-mediaevali, ubi saepe hoc verbum "fere" in sensu indicato invenitur. Verum quoque est quod cnread dixit, hoc verbum scil. frequenter (etsi non semper) non ante, sed post verbum quod modificat poni. Alia verba idem fere significantia sunt "paene" ("paene dixi" "I almost said"), "prope" ("prope nihil" "nearly nothing"), et "propemodo" ("propemodo nemo" "hardly anybody").

New contributor
Nolmendil is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

discard

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.