In Latin, a paternal aunt is an 'amita', a paternal uncle is a 'patruus', a maternal aunt is a 'matertera' and a maternal uncle is an 'avunculus'. However, how do you call each of these people's spouses?

For instance, your 'consobrinus' and 'consobrina' have two parents: your 'avunculus' and... How is their mother called? Your 'amitinus' and 'amitina' have two parents: your 'amita' and... How is their father called?

Possible duplicate of A complete family tree – luchonacho Sep 6 at 11:45
    Welcome to the site! At least one user ( @luchonacho ) argues that your question might have an answer in the linked question. While I'm not convinced of that, could you have a look and say whether that is the case or tell everyone what part of your question is not answered in the older one? I suspect the answer goes in the line that your uncle's wife is your aunt no matter who's the brother or sister of your corresponding parent, but I'm not sure about that. – Rafael Sep 6 at 11:52
    I've had a look at it and it only gives me for your father or mother's siblings. However, it does not give me the answer to what their spouses are called. – user2906 Sep 6 at 15:43
    I agree that this is not a duplicate. The family tree question asks for a big picture, but it does no go into all the details. Asking specific questions about different kinds of in-laws or other types or relatives is good, although there is always room for more elaboration as @Rafael points out. Welcome to the site and a +1 for a good question! I hope you will get a good answer. – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 8 at 20:42

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.