Through answers to another question, I came across Lewis & Short's definition of paeniteo, which begins:

paenĭtĕo (less correctly poen- )

L&S say that it comes from the Greek ποινή, which to me would suggest that poen- would be preferred. So what is the basis for judging paen- more correct than poen-?

I wondered the exact same thing when reading the answer. The dictionary entry relates it to poena and the entry for poena mentions the word poenitet, not paenitet. Confusing... – Joonas Ilmavirta Apr 13 '16 at 19:58
    It's funny how pronunciation affects perception: I generally use Ecclesiastical pronunciation, in which both oe and ae are more or less e, so the difference didn't jump out to me as it did to others. – brianpck Apr 13 '16 at 20:54

My guess is that the similarity between poena and paenitere led to a misunderstanding by L&S. De Vaan, for example, doesn't mention poena in his entry on paenitere:

paene 'almost, practicaly' [adv.] (Pl.+)

Derivatives: paenitere (p.. -ui) 'to cause dissatisfaction, cause to regret' (Pl.+) ...

The basic meaning of the stem *paen- seems to be 'missing, lacking'. IEW connects paene with the Skt. piyati scorns', which would fit if we posit *ph2-u-; but the root is reconstructed as *ph1-i- in LIV, which does not explain Latin -ae. Also, the semantics do not match well. Nero (2007: 78f.) takes up a suggestion by Vine and proposes *p(e)-ai-ni- 'not entirely' < *'from whom has been taken away' or *'who takes away', from a preverb *pe 'away' and a verb *h1ai 'to give, take'. A PIE phoneme sequence *h1ai- is in my view not possible, however, and the existence of a PIE preverb *pe is uncertain.

Paenitere from paene seems more likely than from poena, and there is no way that paene and poena are related.

| improve this answer | |
  • So you're suggesting that pœnitere is a misspelling? – Joel Derfner Apr 14 '16 at 5:26
  • @JoelDerfner Yes, which was very common in Medieval Latin. – C. M. Weimer Nov 30 '16 at 20:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.