I would like like to translate "everything started here" in Latin. Would omni coepia hinc work?

No.

I’m not quite sure how you arrived at your final result; omnī is the ablative singular of omnis, omne, which doesn’t make much sense if you are trying to convey the word everything; coepia, well, I’m not really sure if it even exists; and hinc means hence, hencforth, from here, etc., not here. All together, the phrase you’ve got is completely unintelligible.

Go for this instead:

Omnia hīc coepērunt.

If you want to avoid potential ambiguity regarding the subject of coepērunt, you can always opt for a passive phrase as well (thanks to @SamK for pointing this out to me):

Omnia hīc coepta sunt

You can rearrange the word order in either of these phrases to whatever emphasis or style suits you; they are simply a starting point.

There's also the option to leave sunt out, although it could be read as "all the things that started here". – Joonas Ilmavirta Sep 3 '18 at 20:33

'Everything' needs a Neuter Plural ending; so, omnia, omnium, or omnibus.

Omnia =Everything.

Coepi is a good word, but it is tricky: it looks like a past tense, and behaves like a past tense, but its meaning is present tense. Coepi = I begin. So an 'extra' past tense has to be added. Omnia coeperunt =Everything begins

coeperant =began. Lewis and Short (Tufts) coepio section II (But notice the ambiguity mentioned by Sam K in the notes.)

Hinc means 'here.' But I would choose

abhinc =from here.

Next, put the words in Latin order. Usually the verb goes last because that is the most significant position. But if you want to emphasise another word, put that last.

Where are you getting the statement that coepi has present meaning? I don't think that's right. – TKR Sep 3 '18 at 18:32
    Agree with TKR here; coepī, coepisse, coeptum is perfect in form and perfect in meaning; incipiō, incipere, incēpī, inceptum is used for to begin in any of the present system tenses. hinc also doesn't mean here; it carries the meaning of from here, hence, henceforth, etc. and abhinc carries a temporal sense with it, which may or may not be what the OP intended with "here". – Ethan Bierlein Sep 3 '18 at 18:55
  • @TKR Coepio as the examples show means 'instigate,' in the present. In the L&S examples 'begin' is usually perfect, future-perfect, plu-perfect.. – Hugh Sep 3 '18 at 20:49
    No, TKR and Ethan Bierlein are correct. The L&S entry simply indicates that although there are present, future, and imperfect forms, these are very rare and primarily preclassical (except the future participle, coepturus); only perfect, future perfect, and pluperfect forms are normally found – and these have perfect, future perfect, and pluperfect meanings. In other words, coepi doesn't work like, e.g., odi, where perfect form = present meaning. – cnread Sep 3 '18 at 21:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.