OK, so this question is perhaps somewhat weird, but I have no idea where to start, so here I am. Let me give some introduction.
Me, languages, and Greek
Let's start very far back. As my blog illustrates, I like fiddling with languages. At high school, I had Latin classes, but in my high school there were different curricula, one of which, called "Classical Lyceum", featured Ancient Greek, so I decided to pick my mother's grammar up and start on Ancient Greek. Year 1, textbook Greek translation into Latin. Year 2: Latin author excerpts from my textbook, translation to Greek. Summer of year 2: authors. And that summer, an appendix on dialects popped up, so I thought, "I wanna be able to understand any dialect", and selected texts for that. The appendix had Homeric, Herodotian (if that is the English of Erodoteo), Aeolic, Doric. Since Homeric essentially seemed like a weirder version of Herodotian, I decided to gobble up tons of Herodotus, and then some Homer. Summer ended, and only two passages of the Iliad were translated. March or May of year 3, OK, I've done enough Homer, time for Aeolic.
The time of Sappho
Who wrote in Aeolic? Sappho and Alcaeus, that I know of. Pick something from both? Nah, just choose one and pull all the texts from Greek Wikisource, ready to translate. The choice fell on Sappho, and I went on to discover how my assumption on the easiness of getting the texts was complete and utter bull… err, tauricopria. My blog illustrates that very well. While researching Sappho, I came across a number of sources.
One of those was a document, I mean a Word document, called safopoemas.doc. I have already mentioned this document here. The document is now no longer available. It resurfaced some time ago as a pdf, but my Firefox blocks it as harmful, so I don't even know if it's there.
In any case, the contents of this document were "reminiscent of a Spanish edition of Sappho". I use quotes because I can't tell if this was what was published, or if a lousy OCR had something to do with this. I sure hope at least the horrid corruptions were an OCR's fault, otherwise the team who directed this should never have started. The horrors of this document are beyond description.
- It's not just the weirdest of typos, like παΤ for παῖ or ϊγω for ἔγω or words that aren't even recognizable, oh no.
- The line breaking is horribly skewed, a fact I originally attributed to better matching the Spanish verso libre translation, which was bad per se, because if it's libre it should have been fitted to the Greek, but then I saw an example where the line breaking was wrong in the Greek but the Spanish matched the correct line breaking.
- In some places, the lines are even scrambled!
- There is even a fragment in two distinct numbers, precisely 73 and 159!
In any case, that horror actually gave some interesting restorations, as that post I linked to before exemplifies.
Striving for completeness on the blog
Fast forward a number of years, fifth year of university, I open my blog, and Sappho starts to go up on it. Fast forward another year, and I am preparing "The rest of Sappho". To be sure I have anything that any of my sources attributes to Sappho, I start readying a huge comparative numbering table between them all.
One of the sources is safopoemas, so I give it a first pass, and locate all but 14 fragments on Lobel-Page. In the meantime, I realize that fragments 40 and 88 are actually collections of P.Oxy. 1231 and P.Oxy. 1787 fragments respectively, each fragment being started by its number and ended by ||, with the line breaks all gone in the Greek. That number "14" accounts for that as well.
So I give those 14 a second pass. Of those that aren't papyrus fragments omitted by Lobel-Page, of which there are about 8, I identify, by locating them in other sources, all but one.
The mystery fragment
Fragment 207 reads:
ώράνα· χελ^όνων όροφή
and is translated as:
. . .la hermosa golondrina, en el tejado. . .
…the beautiful swallow, in the tiled roof…
I have figured out that
ὀροφή means "roof", so it matches "tejado". I would assume it should be
ἐν ὀροφῇ, "in the roof", and then we have three short syllables and a non-Aeolic form, so we would need
ἐν δ' ὀρόφᾳ if this was Sappho, which would make it Ionic a minore or a maiore in meter.
χελ^όνων may be a corruption of
χελίδων, "swallow", which would require three syllables to be lost after it to fit the meter, so
χελίδων uu– ἐν δ' ὀρόφᾳ.
ώράνα doesn't match the translation at all, however.
Hermosa from the translation could be integrated in the lacuna getting
χελίδων u κάλα ἐν δ' ὀρόφᾳ, and the missing syllable could be γε, to intensify κάλα (maybe). Amending the last Greek word we could reconstruct
ὄρραννα χελίδων γε κάλα ἐν δ' ὀρόφᾳ u–x, a ionic a maiore tetrameter. Of course, this all supposes this is Sappho. If this were another author, we could just write… um, ὠράνα with an omega seems to have to be Aeolic, so maybe a gloss?
ὠράνα· χελίδὼν ἐν ὀροφῇ?
Can anyone identify this fragment and/or provide a source for this?
In case you're wondering, after over a year and a half of struggling with Sappho, I decided to leave Doric alone and proceed with Chinese and Japanese at the end of August of year 4 :).
Tried opening the link with Safari, and:
Aw, butts. But Scribd seems to have it. And here is the edition… with the Greek completely lost! And here it should be again. Bonus: «Safo Poemas BAJO LA DIRECCIÓN DE MANUEL DE EZCURDIA CON LA COLABORACIÓN DE TERESA SILVA TENA Y CARLOS TRILLAS SALAZAR Safo Introducción, traducción directa y notas de Carlos Montemayor Edición completa de los fragmentos sáficos EDITORIAL TRILLAS Las ilustraciones han sido tomadas de: Dictionnaire de la civilisation grecque, Fernaud Hazan editeur, París, 1966.». Oh yep, it's the one. Enjoy the horrors of this :).