In a critical note by Lobel-Page, I read:

κάλαις ὔμμιν cod. A, quo retento τὸ νόημ[μα] ci. Bekker. quod quamvis cum grammatici verbis aptius congruere videatur, tamen ob ν ἐφελκυστικόν positionem effecturum recipere noluimus

Questions about this:

1. What does "ci." stand for?
  2. Does the period after "Bekker.", given the absence of a following capital, mean the name is not Bekker but Bekker+something else hidden in the period? And if so, why does Campbell not have the period? And if not, what is the point of the period? Was a capitalization forgotten?
  3. Does "cod. A" mean that there is another codex or more going like cod. B and so on?
  4. Why is the "nu ephelkystikon positionem effecturum" an objection to the Bekker emendation?
  1. coniecit. It is Bekker's conjecture.
  2. He seems not to use a capital at the start of a sentence.
  3. yes. It should be explained somewhere what these codices are.
  4. He is saying that Bekker's emendation does not scan properly.
  • How does it not scan properly? I mean, the nu does make the iota long as it should be, and the rest scans, so it seems the problem is precisely the fact the movable nu is used to make the syllable it ends long by position, but why is that a problem? – MickG Aug 14 '18 at 19:18
  • Btw maybe I should have included the fragment we're talking about, it's Sappho LP 41 and in transliteration it reads "Tais kalais ymmin <to> noēmma tōmon / oy diameipton" in Bekker's emendation, and "Tais kalaisin ymmi etc." in Lobel-Page's text. – MickG Aug 14 '18 at 19:20
  • He seems to mean that nu ephelkystikon cannot be used to make position, but I would need to check on that. – fdb Aug 14 '18 at 19:23
  • I wonder why he thinks so... – MickG Aug 14 '18 at 19:29
  • Smyth (135) says "To make a syllable long by position (144) the poets add ν before words beginning with a consonant". But he doesn't say who "the poets" are -- maybe there are no such uses in Sappho/Aeolic poets/archaic poets? That would seem to be the only plausible grounds for the rejection. – TKR Aug 14 '18 at 21:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.