Some dictionaries seems to include the word "thrift" at the end of definition for oikonomia (good examples here and here):

Greek oikonomia "household management, thrift.

I would like to know the source of this meaning, as it seems that oikonomos is directly understood as only household management.

When and how did a word economy started to mean a thrift household management?

• Can we know this meaning is not a later influence of its meaning in another language? E.g. that it first got it from English (or Latin), and was then adopted by modern Greek as a meaning? I bet this is what happened in Spanish, where the word economia can also means thrift. – luchonacho Aug 8 '18 at 18:47
    @luchonacho Good thought, but LSJ also includes "thrift", citing several classical authors. – Draconis Aug 8 '18 at 19:21
    How? I think the semantic shift is pretty obvious. – Alex B. Aug 9 '18 at 15:03
    @Draconis. It might be useful, if anyone has the time, to look up the references in LSJ and determine whether any of them really requires the meaning "thrifty house-keeping". – fdb Aug 10 '18 at 13:55
    The correct term would be a metonymic (semantic) change or shift. While it’s very easy to envision such a change, I’m not entirely sure if it happened in Ancient Greek. Let’s look at some examples. – Alex B. Aug 10 '18 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.