Some dictionaries seems to include the word "thrift" at the end of definition for oikonomia (good examples here and here):

Greek oikonomia "household management, thrift.

I would like to know the source of this meaning, as it seems that oikonomos is directly understood as only household management.

When and how did a word economy started to mean a thrift household management?

• Can we know this meaning is not a later influence of its meaning in another language? E.g. that it first got it from English (or Latin), and was then adopted by modern Greek as a meaning? I bet this is what happened in Spanish, where the word economia can also means thrift. – luchonacho Aug 8 at 18:47
  • @luchonacho Good thought, but LSJ also includes "thrift", citing several classical authors. – Draconis Aug 8 at 19:21
  • How? I think the semantic shift is pretty obvious. – Alex B. Aug 9 at 15:03
    @Draconis. It might be useful, if anyone has the time, to look up the references in LSJ and determine whether any of them really requires the meaning "thrifty house-keeping". – fdb Aug 10 at 13:55
  • The correct term would be a metonymic (semantic) change or shift. While it’s very easy to envision such a change, I’m not entirely sure if it happened in Ancient Greek. Let’s look at some examples. – Alex B. Aug 10 at 14:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.