I am in a community of flow artists and fire performers. I'm putting together a "coat of arms" of sorts for this community, and would like to include a motto in Latin. The motto in English would be along the lines of "Fire, Flow, Transcendence." How would I phrase this in Latin?

More info: "Fire" (the noun), as in burning flames, + "Flow" (noun or verb), the act of moving or adapting gracefully, as in a stream or river, but also with respect to the mental "flow state" found through deep concentration on an engaging task = "Transcendence" (noun), a higher state of consciousness.

Think along the lines of "finding transcendence by way of flowing with fire"

The motto could be a sentence, or a disjoint collection of words (perhaps separated by commas). Either way. Importantly, the translation needs to be reasonably short, ideally no more than a few words.

My research so far has provided me with the following which I think are close, but I'm not sure how much to trust Google Translate lol:

• "Ignis, Fluxu, Transcendentiam"
  • "Ignis ex Fluxu Transcendentiam"

Thoughts? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

• Welcome to the site! That's a very complete question! Just the kind of translation question we'd like to be asked – Rafael Aug 8 at 18:00
  • Keep in mind that 1) there is probably no single word to convey all the meanings of English flow at once and 2) I don't think transcendentia means the same as its English cognate (it's what they call a false friend) – Rafael Aug 8 at 18:04
    thanks! yeah I'm not concerned about a perfect translation, just looking for something that's as close as possible to the meaning I'm aiming for. if one definition or another of "flow" should be used, I would say that the verb form, i.e. the act of moving or adapting gracefully as in a stream or river, is the most likely to be translated correctly and is what we should shoot for. as far as "transcendentiam" being a "false friend," perhaps? what might work better to signify mental / consciousness elevation? thanks! – Matt Storer Aug 8 at 20:59
    perhaps also something like (again, using Google Translate as a base here), instead of "transcendentiam" to indicate transcendence, to use "spiritus elevandi" to indicate elevation of the spirit. – Matt Storer Aug 8 at 21:31
  • so maybe something like "ignis et fluxus, spiritus elevandi" ("fire and flow, to elevate the spirit") - ? – Matt Storer Aug 8 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.