My step grandpa passed, and I want a tattoo in latin that says, "Blood isn't always thicker than water." I would greatly appreciate it if someone translates this.

The proverb "blood is thicker than water" originated in German, so all Latin versions are translations from that. The one I've seen most often is:

Sangvis aqvā densior est.

Densior is quite literally "thicker". You could also use spissior "denser" or dūrābilior "harder to break"; either of those can be substituted in freely.

Another Latin proverb is "no man is always wise":

Nemō mortālium omnibus hōrīs sapit.

(Literally, "nobody among the mortals is wise at every point in time".)

Combining the phrasing from those two would give:

Sangvis nōn omnibus hōrīs qvam aqvā densior est.

I added the qvam to make it clear which ablative goes where, since there are two in a row. But you can freely drop the qvam and est without affecting the meaning.

It's a tattoo, it has to be more epigrammatic than that. Sanguis non omnibus quam aqua densior ("for all people"), at most: I'd drop the "hours" too. Or, if we allow ourselves the (neo-Latin) diacritic for the ablative, Sanguis aquâ non omnibus densior. – Nick Nicholas Aug 4 '18 at 1:23
    Yes, more epigrammatic, from NickNicholas. But iunctior 'closer in friendship,' might be better than densior 'more crowded.' – Hugh Aug 4 '18 at 14:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.