In synizesis two vowels that would normally be pronounced separately are pronounced as one without any change in spelling. This happens sometimes in Latin poetry and it can be recognized from the metric — sometimes proper scansion is impossible without synizesis.

Synizesis seems to be somewhat rare. How rare exactly was it in Latin poetry of Augustan era? I am looking for numerical answers for the frequency of synizesis, answering either of the following questions:

• How many times does synizesis occur in a verse on average?
  • In what percentage of the places where synizesis is possible does it actually take place?

I believe the frequency of synizesis varied between poets and eras, and therefore I restricted my attention to Augustan poets (Vergilius, Horatius, Ovidius). It may also vary significantly between the works of individual authors. If such synizesis data is available for the main works of all these authors, please give a couple of examples (like data for Aeneis or Metamorphoses) in addition to instructions for finding more information.

(I chose to make this question slightly open-ended in order to make it more easily answerable. If you feel that this question should be more specific (only about Aeneid, for example), let me know and I will reformulate it.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.