Id like to get a tattoo saying 'remember' but translated in Latin. I have learned that the translation depends on what message it would like to convoy with 'remember'.

The message id like to convey is mostly a message to myself to not forget how happy I felt during my time in another country and that I want to keep remembering that feeling so it will not fade over time. I want to stay motivated to go back when I can. I would like to keep it to one word/two words maximum if possbile.

• Are you asking for a translation of just the word remember, or you actually want a solution to your wider translation? It's unclear from the question. Please clarify. – luchonacho Jul 14 at 16:39
    In what way was the answer inadequate last time you asked this question? – Dawood ibn Kareem Jul 14 at 21:26
  • @DawoodibnKareem The earlier question was about the difference between two words, this one is about trying to convey a certain message. They are related, of course, but the questions themselves are different, and so are the answers. The answer to the linked question does not fully answer the present one. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 16 at 12:15
  • If the answer solved your question, don't forget to accept it :) – luchonacho Sep 26 at 8:34

Memento precisely conveys that meaning, in my opinion. It is an imperative (like "do this", "do that"), which means "Remember!", as in "Do remember".

This word is part of a very famous expression: memento mori. There are a few question on the meaning of such expression in this site. E.g. here.

To emphasize the aspect that you want to keep remembering it, I suggest the future: meminero, "I will remember". It sounds more nuanced than the plain memini, "I remember", but both are equally correct. Neither of these is an order to yourself; these more like promises. If you prefer an order, luchonacho's answer gives you that.

If you want to add emphasis, you could do something like semper meminero, "I will always remember". With the constraints you give, the only possibility seems to be to add an adverb (like semper, "forever").

• I just realised you gave a related answer than mine to the OP in another post. Not copy intended! – luchonacho Jul 14 at 16:38
    @luchonacho No worries! It is inevitable to have some ideas rewritten and reinvented every now and then. The two questions are different (albeit related), and your answer is a good one. I gave it an upvote, but I also wanted to offer an alternative. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 14 at 16:49
  • @Joonas Ilmavirta, Isn't meminero future perfect, meaning 'I shall have remembered', or by implication 'I shall never forget'? If the requirement is strictly imperative, then memento is surely the only answer. – Tom Cotton Jul 14 at 16:49
    @Joonas Ilmavirta, What you say is of course perfectly (please forgive the unintentional pun!) true, but the questioner wants to tell herself not to forget — which implies an imperative, not a hope or expectation. – Tom Cotton Jul 14 at 17:14
    @TomCotton Fair enough. I edited the answer to clarify. Perhaps Cynthia would like to consider a promise "I will remember" as an alternative to the imperative "remember!", but the choice if of course hers. If it must be an order, then mine is not the right answer, but perhaps there is room for other options. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 14 at 17:48

Another verb is memoror, its 2nd person imperative being memorare, 1st person future active, memorabor. Hence you have to forms for each:

• Memento / memorare for the command
  • Meminero / Memorabor for the commitment

Both verbs, memoror and memini, are Classical and reasonably common, with the former seeming slightly more common (according to searches that could be noisy, so don't just trust them blindly).

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.