What would be a good classical Latin translation of "sense of humour"? I can find words for "humour", but I am not sure how to go about "sense of". Would one of the humour words be adequate on its own (by metonymy or due to having a broader meaning), or should I perhaps use a noun to play the role of "sense"?

In case it helps, here are the humour words I found: lepos/lepor, hilaritas, festivitas, facetia, mos, urbanitas, sensus. Some of these are awfully broad.

• Pope Francis just released an apostolic exhortation where there is a full section on "Joy and sense of humor". Unfortunately, the document is not available in Latin (yet). My usual trick didn't work this time. Now, what about sensi umoris? It should be something like "sensi blahblah". – luchonacho Jul 9 '18 at 17:08
  • @luchonacho Sensus does indeed come to mind, but I don't recall seeing it used like this, so I'm unsure. But it's fourth declension, so no sensi. And, confusingly enough, (h)umor means "moisture", not "humour". The Pope's text would provide an interesting answer, and look forward to seeing it. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 9 '18 at 17:43
  • Wiktionary says sensus is first/second declension. Is that wrong? – luchonacho Jul 9 '18 at 20:25
  • @luchonacho: the noun sensus, -us is in the 4th, but the p.p. sensus from sentio declines as a regular adjective. – kkm Jul 9 '18 at 22:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.