We are creating our own family crest, and would like a translation of a lyric "no freedom til we're equal". I've looked on Google Translate, but quickly realised it's going to end up reading like a dodgy tattoo. I can see that changing the wording on this slightly, gives very different translations, so I guess I'm looking for the closest in style and meaning. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the site! That's a nice question, but in order to be on-topic it is expected that you show some previous effort at translating. Do you mind giving it a try? – Rafael Jul 2 '18 at 19:45

Your motto made me recall Ovid's famous line:

Donec eris felix multos numerabis amicos.
As long as you are happy you will have many friends.

Imitating this and holding on to hexameter, I arrived at this suggestion:

Donec eris mihi par poteris tibi vivere liber.
As long as you are my equal you can live your own life free.

This is not exactly what you wished. I needed some poetic licence to fit the metric constraints, but I personally feel that hexameter makes a motto more classy.

The following phrase should suit you just fine if your desire is an entirely literal translation, rather than something more pragmatic:

Lībertās nūlla dōnec aequālēs sumus.

or Lībertātem nūllam habēbimus dōnec aequālēs sumus.

Which translates literally to:

No freedom until we are equal.

We shall have no freedom until we are equal.

I included habēbimus in the original phrase as I felt that it made more clear to whom the freedom would belong; however, it can be dropped without removing any critical meaning.

Since you mentioned that this phrase would be included in a family crest and a tattoo, you probably don't want either to have the orthography of my previously provided quote, but rather, in the orthography of Classical Latin (all capitals, lack of a letter uU, apices marking long vowels, etc):

LIBERTAS•NVLLA•DONEC•AEQVALES•SVMVS

or LIBERTATEM•NVLLAM•HABEBIMVS•DONEC•AEQVALES•SVMVS

But, the final style is obviously up to you. You can read more about the orthography of Classical Latin (with both formal and informal orthographies described) here.

• Not sure if donec needs a subjunctive, or it is optional. Donec aequales simus? – Rafael Jul 2 '18 at 20:50
  • @Rafael Are you familiar with donec eris felix multos numerabis amicos? – Joonas Ilmavirta Jul 2 '18 at 20:51
    @Rafael A quick glance at some relevant sources (namely this: dcc.dickinson.edu/grammar/latin/dum-d%C5%8Dnec-and-quoad) seems to indicate that the present, future, and future perfect indicative can be/are used with dōnec. – Ethan Bierlein Jul 2 '18 at 20:54
  • @JoonasIlmavirta I wasn't, thank you. But in your cite, both verbs are in future. Maybe donec aequales erimus, then? The combo donec+present indicative sounds counter-intuitive to me – Rafael Jul 2 '18 at 20:57
  • @EthanBierlein, sounds convincing. Thank you! – Rafael Jul 2 '18 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.