There are many Latin verbs meaning roughly "continue", but I failed to find a description how to use any of them with another verb. I would like to say things like "Keep walking!" and "She continues to study Greek." and other similar thing having to do with continuing to do something.

Which verb should I use and how? Should I use infinitive, gerund, participle, or something else?

• From my early search, I imagine Latin uses a single verb rather than a compound one. In a sense, "keep walking!" can be proxied by "vada" or vada iterum or vada itera. and "she continues to study" by "est studeo" or "est studeo iterum". I compiled a list of Latin/English texts from a Pope Francis' text where the English has a compound verb in the sense you mean, and where I see (beware) no particular form arising. You might get a different idea. – luchonacho Jun 8 '18 at 11:15

Here is a somewhat roundabout possibility: non desinere + infinitive. I think this captures the common emphasis of "continue" in your examples: "despite X, I don't stop...."

• "Keep walking!" = ne desinas ambulare!
  • "She continues to study Greek." = Graecis studere litteris non desinit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.