I have little knowledge of Latin grammar — and few resources in Japan. I am attempting to create a fictional agency in a novel and its accompanying motto: From Secrecy, Unity.

My attempted translation is "Ex Occulto Unitas". I used a few "Ex (X) (X)" mottos as a pattern, using the ablative tense of the masculine 1st/2nd dec OCCULTUS to match the away from image of 'EX'. I'm unsure if it should stay masculine or if it should change to feminine or neuter.

I am much less confident on what tense UNITAS should be in. I assume it should be the Nominative?

The adjective occultus means "hidden", "secret", and other such things. It is normal to use the neuter occultum for "secrecy" or "a secret thing", and this meaning is listed separately in some dictionaries. The word occultum should be in neuter, but in ablative it looks just like masculine. Therefore I think your word choices for "secrecy" and "unity" are perfect.

The pattern "ex X(abl) Y(nom)" for "Y from X" is very common in Latin. (Latin word order is different from English, so the translation "from X, Y" feels a little forced to me, but it is a matter of taste. And this question concerns Latin, so the English phrasing is tangential.) Thus ex occulto unitas is a great translation of your motto. It also has the added benefit of being understandable to many who don't know much Latin.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.