Most Latin adjectives related to names of countries and languages are of first and second declension: Latinus, Graecus, Anglicus… If I want to express that I speak in any such language, I will simply use the derived adverb: Latine/Graece/Anglice loquor.

But how does it work if the adjective belongs to the third declension? The list in the linked question contains, for example, Islandiensis, Melitensis, and Thailandiensis. If I want to express speaking or otherwise using these languages, do I use the adverb normally? Saying Islandiensiter/Melitensiter/Thailandiensiter loquor sounds weird. I have never seen such adjectives in such use, so I have no intuition. (I don't know whether the Romans ever had third declension adjectives together with lingua, so there may or may not be classical help.)

Is the -iter ending used under such circumstances? Is a first and second declension alternative always used instead (Islandice, Melitice etc.)? Or should I simply use the ablative like lingua Melitensi loquor?

Tried to google several variants and found only one case of "islandice loquor", but it looks like a pretty modern Latin. Nothing for "-iter" or other "-ice" endings. – Pavel V. Feb 5 at 15:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.