Etymonline avers the etymology for 'exert' to be from:

1660s, "thrust forth, push out," from Latin exertus/exsertus, past participle of exerere/exserere "thrust out, put forth," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + serere "attach, join" (see series). Meaning "put into use" is 1680s.

[ OED: ] [...] The formation is probably due to antithesis with inserĕre (to insert v.) [...]

ex- + serere literally signifies 'to attach or join out', which doesn't make sense. How did they compound to signify "thrust out, put forth"? How ought this compound be understood?

I may be misunderstanding what is exactly unclear here, so I am sorry if I am misinterpreting the question. The sĕro, sertus has the semantics of binding into a bunch: “wreath; join, entwine, interweave, bind together; compose; contrive;” [Whit.] (There is also an irrelevant lemma of sēro).

in-serere, with the regular semantics of in-, directs the action of the verb inward, giving it the force of bundling in, adding to the bunch, wreath or bundle: “to put, bring, or introduce into, to insert” [L&S]

ex-serere, with the ex- expectedly directing the action outward, essentially means un-bundle, separate or protrude from, be taken away from the bunch: “to stretch out or forth, to thrust out, put forth, to take out; to protrud[e] from the dress, [to be] bare, uncovered” [L&S].

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.