I would like to translate this english curse into latin.

"Whoever takes my freedom will burn in hell forever."

What are the details of this curse? Are you stating this as a fact ("this is what will happen") or as a wish ("may this happen")? Who is using it?
    – Draconis
    May 20 '18 at 21:16

There are a variety of ways to translate this, but I would go with:

Quīcumque lībertātem meam abripiat, flammīs ācribus addīcatur.
Whosoever might take away my liberty shall be consigned to the piercing flames.

(The marks over the vowels represent different sounds that merged together in later Latin; if you're going for an Ecclesiastical style, like your tag indicates, feel free to leave them off.)

• Quīcumque is a masculine singular pronoun: "whoever". It's conventional to use the masculine in Latin if you don't know the gender of the person, but if you're more worried about a woman taking your freedom than a man, you could use quaecumque.
  • Lībertātem is "freedom", plain and simple.
  • Meam is "my", in the feminine accusative to agree with lībertātem.
  • Abripiat is a subjunctive from abripiō, "to tear away by force".
  • Flammīs is "flames", dative.
  • Ācribus is "piercing", also dative.
  • Addīcatur is the passive subjunctive of addīcō, "to consign".
  • The two present subjunctives here are something like "if anyone should…then may they…".
  • I'm not very familiar with phrases for Hell in Ecclesiastical Latin, so the second half of the phrase is borrowed from verse 16 of the Dies Irae: cōnfūtātīs maledictīs flammīs ācribus addictīs, vocā mē cum benedictīs "with the damned having been silenced [and] consigned to the piercing flames, call me with the blessed".

EDIT: If you want to state it as a fact ("this will happen") you can use the simple future rather than the subjunctive.

Quīcumque lībertātem meam abripiet, flammīs ācribus addīcētur.
Whosoever will take away my liberty, he will be consigned to the piercing flames.

• Thanks so much for the answer. I want it to be stated as a fact. Also, if there's any differences between masculine and feminine forms, I would like to see it in masculine form.
    – Blue Steel
    May 21 '18 at 22:41
  • Sorry, I'm the original asker but accidentally logged in under this account.
    – Blue Steel
    May 21 '18 at 22:42
  • @BlueSteel Added an option for that
    – Draconis
    May 22 '18 at 1:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.